MAA Group

MAA submits application to BNM to sell takaful operation

MAA Group Bhd, Solidarity Group Holdings BSC and Zurich Insurance Co Ltd (Zurich) has jointly submitted an application to Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM), for the sale of MAA Takaful Bhd stakes. In a filing with Bursa Malaysia, MAA Group said the application was for the Minister of Finance's approval, pursuant to the Islamic Financial Services Act 2013. The group did not reveal any detail of the divestment. MAA Takaful is a joint venture between MAA Group and Solidarity Company BSC (C) of Bahrain, of which MAA controlled a 75% equity stake, while the remaining 25% is controlled by Solidarity Group. BNM had on June 15 said it granted its greenlight for MAA Group to commence negotiations with Zurich for disposal of its 75% stake in its takaful insurance arm.

MAA boss mad at being stuck due to Bursa rules

MAA Group Bhd is caught between Bursa Malaysia’s PN17 rules (practice note) – which requires it to buy another business to lift the status – and the Islamic Services Act 2013, which only allows it to buy a financial services company. MAA has been granted an extension of time of up to July 31, 2014 to submit a regularisation plan to the regulator. The firm is now looking at the takaful market of the Philippines to strengthen its insurance business, and possibly pave the way towards exiting its PN17 status. Chief executive officer Muhamad Umar Swift said that MAA seeks a lifting of the PN17 status by virtue of having a takaful business instead of acquiring another business. He said the group has allocated RM177 million for capitalisation and expansion plans for this year, particularly in the takaful business.

MAA Group, Zurich settle longtime dispute

MAA Group will finally get to proceed with plans to buy new businesses after reaching a settlement agreement with Zurich Insurance Co. Under the settlement, Zurich has agreed to pay MAA Group RM103.43 million on top of the RM344 million acquisition price for MAA Group's interest in MAA Assurance Alliance and its subsidiaries. The RM103.43 million amount is subject to the deduction of the Senai Desaru and Domayne bonds transfer price and Prima Avenue Klang property holdback amount of RM3 million, such that the net amount payable by Zurich into the escrow account is RM78.83 million. However, Zurich will instruct and withhold the RM3 million until delivery of the individual strata titles for Block A of Prima Avenue Klang within three years.

Syndicate content